Two Sum Problem
Objective: Given an array of integers, and k. Write a program to find indexes of two elements in an array which sum is equal to K.
Given array: [5, 4, 7, 3, 9, 2], Sum = 13 Output: Found indexes are: 4 and 1 Given array: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5], Sum = 9 Found indexes are: 4 and 3 Given array: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5], Sum = 10 No indexes are found
Brute Force: Use nested loops and all possible pairs in the array and check if pair sum is equal to K if found then print the indexes of the pair.
Time Complexity: O(N2)
Better Solution: Use Map
- Construct a map that stores the array element as key and its index as value.
- Iterate the array and for every element x-
- Calculate y = K-x.
- Check if y is present in the map,
- If yes then we have found the pair which sum to K. Get the index of y from the map and print it along with the index of x.
- If not then add x and its index into the map.
Time Complexity: O(N), Space Complexity: O(N)
Given array: [5, 4, 7, 3, 9, 2], Sum = 13 Found indexes are: 4 and 1
Top Companies Interview Questions..-
If you find anything incorrect or you feel that there is any better approach to solve the above problem, please write comment.